Money Transfers: How to Send Money to & from the Netherlands
Are you already living in the Netherlands, or are you planning to move here? The most likely result is you will transfer money between your birth country and Dutch bank accounts. In the Netherlands, you could rent a home or buy an apartment, or you might need the money to look after your family and children. In any case, the following advice will apply if you want to send money to & from the Netherlands.
Using Online Transfers to Send and Receive Money from the Netherlands
Traditional banks often charge excessive fees. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that online money transfers are becoming increasingly popular. The fact that it is fast and secure, along with the fact that it doesn’t cost much, is reason enough.
Money transfers on the Internet can be made with competitive rates by the following companies:
How does it Work to Send and Receive Money from Abroad?
You can save time and money by using online money transfer services. In-person visits to your bank are not necessary. You can use your favourite online money transfer service to wire the money with a few clicks using your laptop, smartphone, or tablet. Money can be sent online in the following ways:
- Open an Account. You can open an account in minutes when you decide which online transfer service to use. Fill in your email address and date of birth on their website, and make an account. Your identity may also need to be verified by some online transfer services.
- Select a delivery option and a delivery amount. In the next step, you will need to send more information, such as the amount, the currency of the money, and the currency into which you would like it converted. It is also usually possible to state at this point whether a fast transfer is necessary or if one can wait a few days.
- Add recipient’s details. In addition to your information, you will also need to enter the recipient’s information, such as their name and account number. You’ll need these details, so make sure you have them handy.
- Pay. Do you have all the information you need? With one of the above transfer methods (my personal favourite is Revolut), you can transfer funds via credit, debit, or regular bank transfer to your chosen transfer company. To ensure the money goes to the right place, sometimes you need to enter a unique reference number.
- Finish the transfer. As soon as the transfer company receives your payment, it will begin transferring your funds. Selecting a service might take a couple of days for the transfer to be completed. A notification will be sent to you as soon as the recipient receives the money. If you are renting accommodation in the Netherlands, make sure you take these things into account.
What is the estimated Time it Takes to Transfer Money?
Money transfers can sometimes be completed in as little as 10 minutes. In other cases, it can take up to 1-2 working days. The type of money transfer service you choose will determine how much it will cost. Transferring money from one bank to another can take a long time, mainly if your bank is located outside the EU. The cash transfer process takes just a few minutes with options such as Western Union. It can sometimes take a couple of days for larger amounts to be transferred online.
Would you like your money as soon as possible? If you plan to spend money on a weekday, send it early in the morning since most banks close early in the afternoon. It is important to note that the term “working days” are used.
Fees, Markups, and Rates associated with Sending Money Abroad
In order to determine the final value of your money transfer service you need to consider four factors:
- The speed at which you want to the money transferred
- What the amount is you are transferring
- Exchange rates and currency used during the transfer
- What your bank or transfer company charges you for their service
It is always an appropriate idea to check the total cost. The exchange rate could be very high at the company you are dealing with, so you would still end up paying more than the fees they charge! It is therefore essential to choose a transfer service with care.
What is the Purpose of Markups?
What exactly is a markup? Consider this example: if the interbank euro-to-dollar exchange rate is 1,113 and the particular service offers 1,083 then it would be 2,69 percent before commissions and service fees, for a markup of 0,03 dollars per euro. Services that facilitate money transfers make their money this way.
What You Should do to Get the Best Exchange Rate?
Shopping around for the best exchange rates is essential, so you should look for them. We’ve mentioned a few comparison tools above, so why not use one of them? To make an accurate comparison, you should always check the total amount the recipient will receive.
What is the Process of Transferring Foreign Currency Abroad?
Here are some tips on saving money when sending money to and from the Netherlands:
- Send larger amounts. Make sure you send a large sum of money once rather than small amounts several times. The cost is almost always lower this way!
- Paying for speed doesn’t make sense. You can save money by planning and selecting a longer time frame instead of transferring money fast.
- Make sure you transfer the minimum amount. You’ll need to check whether the company of your choice allows you to send a smaller amount since some won’t allow you to transfer anything under a certain amount.
- Consider transfer options. If your transfer is not time-sensitive, some transfer brokers let you lock in an optimal exchange rate, ensuring the money is only transferred when it reaches that rate. This is a great way to save money!
- Make sure to pay debit. In the Netherlands, most people hold a debit card. Supermarkets will not accept credit cards as a form of payment. So make sure you get your hands on a debit card as soon as you arrive.
Transfers of Business Funds & International Payment for Self-Employed Individuals
Do you earn your money in the Netherlands as a freelancer or business owner? Depending on your circumstances, you may have to send money to and from the Netherlands? Foreign exchange specialists offer the best currency exchange rates rather than banks if you want to make transfers abroad for business purposes.
Send Money to & from the Netherlands: Alternative Methods
There are other ways to send money abroad if you’re not interested in sending it via the Internet. Each method has its pros and cons. The bank may offer you a higher exchange rate if you transfer money internationally, but they often charge a flat rate. You can also pick up your money at a physical location using cash pickup services. People can also receive, store, and spend money via their mobile phones through mobile money providers.